Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Les Paul on Ebay

  1. #1
    Inactive Member contemptiblepunx's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2004
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Would anyone here trust this person selling an Alpine White Gibson Les Paul Custom based on their inexperience (feedback score)?

    Here's the link: guitar for sale

    <font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ November 07, 2005 09:00 PM: Message edited by: contemptiblepunx ]</font>

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner wolfpits's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,546
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey, every ebay seller has to start somewhere. I would say its ok. for something that big I would defenitely pay via paypal so you have some buyer protection. a few months ago, I sent a guy almost 2 grand for a les paul and it was a scam. turns out he was in some sort of trouble and sold the guitar on ebay, but sent 2nd chance offers to a few other people including me. he sold the same guitar like 4 times. i filed a complaint with paypal and they immediately put a hold on the funds I sent him and since he didnt dispute it, it was like 95% returned to me. But anyways, low or no feedback is not as bad as neutral or negative feedback. I was at 0 at one point, now im at 90 with 100% positive.

    this is a sweet guitar.

    Steve

  3. #3
    Inactive Member contemptiblepunx's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2004
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alright thanx for the recommendation. I was wondering in case you know about Gretsch guitars, what do you of a Gretsch Country Club (G6196)? I understand that it will definately sound great when in clean but would you recommend that type of guitar for a punk band that would want a lot of distortion being used also?

    Here's the link if you wanna check out the guitar I might buy:

    Gretsch Country Club

  4. #4
    Inactive Member lostheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 2004
    Posts
    480
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A white Les Paul Custom?
    Are you playing in "The Darkness" (I have no clue if this band is known outside Europe, so...check out pics of them on the net and I guess you'll get my drift!)?
    Didn't Mike play a white one one in the "Story of my life" music video as well?
    Les Paul's are my fav's but I don't want to be caught dead with a white Les Paul Custom...the black Custom's look sweet once they have been played in and have a few marks. So...no black Custom's available?
    See, the reason I'm saying this is back in the eighties when everyone wanted Kramer guitars in hideous colors I bought a 52 Telecaster Reissue and my buddies made fun of me. Now, guess who's the one that still has his guitar and guess who are the ones ashamed of the axes they have tucked away in the basement?!
    Not that I want to compare a Les Paul with those Heavy Metal guitars from yesteryear but a white Les Paul doesn't look right to me...but your milage may vary. If it's the one you always wanted, go for it, but make sure to find out its weight...some are significantly lighter than others and you don't want to ruin your back, do you?
    Another issue you might want to take into consideration is the fact that white guitars show some discoloration over the years and I have seen pics of many white Les Paul Customs that have turned somewhat yellowish over the years.
    Looked gross to me, but...

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner wolfpits's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,546
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lostheart, I fucking love the White customs bigtime. I cant get enough of them. I personally dont own one but that is my next les paul. To me, those are the nicest of the customs besides the cherry sunburst. Your from Europe Im sure you like the sex pistols and the clash? Well, think Steve Jones baby and Ive seen Mick Jones with one also. I think the Ebony customs are a dime a dozen. The problem is the white customs tend to sell for a lot more than the black beauties do so ive laid off getting one. I may put in a bid on this one if it doesnt get out of hand.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lostheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 2004
    Posts
    480
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by wolfpits:
    Lostheart, I fucking love the White customs bigtime. I cant get enough of them. I personally dont own one but that is my next les paul. To me, those are the nicest of the customs besides the cherry sunburst. Your from Europe Im sure you like the sex pistols and the clash? Well, think Steve Jones baby and Ive seen Mick Jones with one also. I think the Ebony customs are a dime a dozen. The problem is the white customs tend to sell for a lot more than the black beauties do so ive laid off getting one. I may put in a bid on this one if it doesnt get out of hand.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, arial">Yeah, man, you're right...Steve Jones and Mick Jones used them regularly, so did the more obscure James Dean Bradfield from the Manic Street Preachers, but to me they always looked too 'showband-in-tuxedos'-like.

    I'm also not too hot for Customs in wine-red and sunburst but it's just a matter of personal taste...to others they are probably the holy grail.
    IMO those colors look good on other guitars like the Gibson J200 in sunburst which is my main acoustic guitar, but other than that I don't care much about cherry or tobacco sunbursts...I'd take a 56 Goldtop Reissue, a Black Les Paul Custom or a butterscotch/blackguard Telecaster instead.

    Funny story...I have a friend who bought a 59 Reissue Les Paul, sunburst and flamed maple, for a serious amount of money...straight out of Gibsons Custom Shop.
    He wouldn't let anyone touch his guitar because he's so afraid that it gets scratched up...I fear the day when he puts a dent in its Nitro laquer...I'd bet money on it that he'll go and kill himself.

    Guys and their toys, huh? [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner wolfpits's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2003
    Posts
    1,546
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used to think that I could only live with a certain color for a guitar and then something occured to me after a while....quick bitchen and worry less about what the guitar looks like because if you cant make it sound good, then it wont matter. Nice guitars are like hot women. You may prefer a redhead over a blond, but but they are still sexy either way.

    <font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ November 08, 2005 08:31 AM: Message edited by: wolfpits ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member PrivateHell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2004
    Posts
    308
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't go NEAR paypal unless your using a credit card. I know tons of people who have been screwed over on eBay and paypal wouldn't do shit for them because the seller had no funds intheir account. If you going to use paypal, pay with a credit card and if you get screwed call the card comapny and let them deal with it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member sickboy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's not a bad price for that Custom. I personally would be a little leary with 0 feedback, but as said above. We all got to start somewhere. But, you don't want to get burned either. I've had good luck in ebay with guitar gear but, also know many people that haven't. I'm also a huge fan of trying the specific guitar you want in person before you buy it. It has to be right for you, as they all sound and feel different (even the same models).

    I can shed some light on Gretsch guitars, as I have a few in my collection. They are fantastic guitars for all types of sounds. Rock, punk, rockabilly, country, etc. They are relatively bright and twangy sounding. Great for that "Self titled" album tone (as that's what Mike used on the majority of the album). The one in the auction is pretty nice, although I've seen them a bit cheaper at times. Definatly worth checking out.

    Hope that helps.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member contemptiblepunx's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2004
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alright thanx for all your guys' help. Just keep the discussion in this forum and forgot that one Gretsch thread I made just to keep things simple.

    Oh yea, since it was more my bro's choice, he ended up picking that Country Club and we paid for it today.

    About the Les Pauls. Me and my bro have shared a black epiphone les paul custom and a white one too, but I gotta say I like the white one more. I also love the color cherry red but have rarely seen that on Ebay, and never in stores.

    There was a Gibson Les Paul Custom cherry red one that I wanted to bid on, but it was also a Limited Colours Edition from 1990, and the people selling the guitar were asking for $2,995. The highest bid was mine which was $1,895, so we offered $2,000 and they said no to us, ha.

    Oh yeah, to whoever mentioned not having a Bigsby, I think your kinda right, those things are so awesome, but w/e I'm a bass player and the guitar was more my bro's choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •